Monday, July 20, 2015

Low Calorie Mix Drinks


Low Calorie Mix Drinks..I keep hearing about these and now I am finally going to try and make these.

Recently, my beer intake began to spike in relation to my usual alcohol intake.  This isn't a good thing when you consider how many calories one has with 1 beer.  Normally I mix in a few cocktails and a few fine rums on the rocks.

My wife wanted us to cut down on soda and me beer and soda.  She doesn't drink beer.  I'm still scratching my head on the soda part as we've allowed soda to expire before just because we barely drink it.  She went to the nutrients and she suggested to use more sparking water.  This was actually fine with me because I like sparkling water and I don't even need flavoring for it.

At the grocery store we bought some pomegranate and some black cherry seltzer water.  I started with the pomegranate first.  With some help of google I wanted to see what most people mixed with pompegranate juice.  I didn't actually look for seltzer but figured it would be close enough.  I saw some similar patterns with most drinks having some type of orange..usually an orange peal, some simple syrup and a few even had rum. Mixing rum is good.  I love rum.

With these suggestions in mind I have come up with a few drink ideas that are very low in calories, taste good and can be sweet or unsweetened depending on your tastebuds.

First, white rum.  We use Cruzan because Cruzan is made on St Croix and we live on the US Virgin Islands.  To put another way, we have a very high quality white rum for a very cheap price.  Second, I was looking for something that wasn't too sweet.  This first attempt hit the spot right away and my wife loved it (with half the rum I used in my drink).

Like I mentioned earlier one can use a variety of different mixtures.  Here is the one the wife liked:


  • 1 shot of rum
  • 1/3 shot of Triple Sec
  • spoonful of grenadine
  • 1 large ice cube in a high ball glass
  • squeeze some lime juice in it
  • just a touch of guava Rum
  • fill to the top with pomegranate seltzer water
The guava rum sweetens the drink up just enough where a person doesn't have to add sugar.

I really wanted to try some different variations especially one that wasn't as sweet. This is what I tried the next night:

  • 1 shot of white rum
  • 1/3 shot of Grand Marnier
  • spoonful of grenadine
  • 1 large ice cube in a high ball glass
  • little bit of raw sugar but simple syrup would work just the same.
  • squeeze some lime juice in it.
  • fill to the top with pomegranate seltzer water
I wanted to do this without the grenadine but I needed the grenadine to cut the strength of the Grand Marnier.

I made another one after this with Cointreau instead and you really can tell the difference between cheap triple sec and Cointreau.  Again, there appears to be many ways to go about making this depending on how sweet you want it to be and how many calories you want to max out at.  I purchased a black cherry seltzer and some lime seltzer water to play with next.  Obviously gin and tonic variations are similar in nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment