Sunday, January 6, 2013

whiskey Sour Version B (WSB)

This is a modified Whiskey Sour.  Very similar to other drinks.

Ingredients:

  • 1.5 shots of Whiskey (Jim Beam for me)
  • half of a lime squeezed
  • 5-6 leaves of fresh basil
  • lemonade
  • 4 ice cubes
  • 2 spoons of sugar (I use raw sugar)
In a pint glass, muddle the basil leaves, lime juice, sugar and whiskey.  Add the ice cubes and then top it off with lemonade.  Stir and you are ready to go!

I've posted a whiskey and basil drink in the past and I LOVED it.  Today, I decided I wanted something similar to a whiskey sour after a day on the beach with rum.  I found a recipe for a whiskey sour.  I am a bit lazy so I modified a few sections.  The first part I changed was adding the basil.  No whiskey sours require basil until now.  I didn't have any marchino cherries either.  That's okay for me because I am not the biggest fan of those cherries.  Lastly, while lemons are very cheap this year and I did have some I decided to go with the lemonade since I stocked up.

If I would have gone with lemon instead of lemonade I would guess you would need 3/4 of a lemon.

It's hard for me to describe the taste.  It is very similar to my whiskey/basil/sprite mixture but with a little more bitterness (probably  from the lime juice).

I hope people try this one.  I know that basil is hard to come by but there is no reason why it isn't in more bars.  While it grows like a weed here I remember it growing very well in just a pot in our former home in Virginia.  Basil needs more respect in drinks!

No comments:

Post a Comment